Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Fish and Chips

I am not a big fan of seafood.  I love shrimp and crab, but that's where the love ends.  My husband, however, loves fish and seafood and doesn't get it very often.  Last night I made fish and chips for him, once again using my mother's recipe, which I believe she got from her dad.

Classic fried fish has a batter or beer batter you dunk the fish into and then deep fry.  I choose to bread my fish similar to how I bread the tenderloins I make, but instead of bread crumbs, I use instant potato buds, or in other words, mash potatoes out of a box.  The only time I will EVER recommend their use. Instead of deep frying, I pan fry, which I find keeps the fish from being overly greasy.

Pan Fried Fish


What you'll need:

Fish, I used Cod
Eggs
Potato Buds
Flour
Salt and Pepper
Oil
Butter

Measurements are purposely left out because it never fails, I run out before I am finished breading the fish.

What you'll need to do:

Rinse your fish, lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Dredge in flour, then egg and finally the potato buds. 
( yes, I am a very messy cook)


In a large frying pan, heat oil and butter. You will want about a half inch of oil in your pan and 4 tablespoons of butter.  When the butter is completely melted and bubbly, add your fish!  Brown on each side, which doesn't take more than a couple minutes per side.  Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in a 200 degree oven while you fry the rest.


Chips...A.K.A. Baked Potato Wedges

What you'll need:

Russet Potatoes
Olive Oil
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Salt
Pepper
Seasoning Salt
Cayenne Pepper


What to do:

Wash potatoes thoroughly, leaving the skins on!  Cut into wedges and keep in cold water until ready to use.  This will keep your potatoes from turning brown.  Always keep peeled and cut potatoes in cold water until ready to use for all recipes!

On a large baking sheet, generously pour olive oil on the bottom.  Roll the potato wedges in oil and line potatoes up with the skins on the bottom.  In the bowl you had your potatoes in, mix 1/4 c. of olive oil with a teaspoon or two of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoning salt and a dash of cayenne pepper.


Spoon this mixture over the potatoes and bake at 450 degrees until the outsides are golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment