Thursday, July 28, 2011

Calzones

One of my family's favorites is homemade pizza, but I get tired of just pizza, so tonight I am making calzones.  I make my own pizza dough from yeast, brown sugar or honey, warm water, corn meal, flour, salt and olive oil.  Not everyone has the time after a long day to wait for pizza dough to rise, so make it the night before and throw it in the refrigerator.  It will be ready to go by the time you get home the next night.

 







When your dough is ready roll out onto a floured surface, then transfer to your baking stone or cookie sheet which has been sprayed with non-stick spray an dusted lightly with cornmeal. Gently coat the dough with olive oil then layer with cheese and your toppings.  Since we have 6 people in this house with all different tastes, I will be making 6 small calzones made to order for my bunch.

Skyler is an All meat girl, Italian sausage, pepperoni, Canadian bacon, bacon and beef.  No veggies.
Jacob is a Hawaiian lover; Canadian bacon, bacon and pineapple.
My husband, Jim and I both like super supreme.  All the meats plus mushrooms, red onion, black and green olives, and green peppers.

Building your calzone...

Start with a coat of olive oil, then on half start piling your toppings.  Cheese, meat, veggies, cheese.  Fold over the top covering your pile of goodness, then fold up the bottom creasing the two edges together. Finally top with more cheese.  I like to use a mix of cheeses; mozzarella, Romano, provolone, cheddar and Asiago.

No comments:

Post a Comment